Working with DNR on Shooting Ranges in Michigan
Shooting and archery have become a favorite pastime for millions of Americans within the last several years. In the State of Michigan, there are over 250 shooting ranges. In 2015, NFE started working with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) on our first shooting range project. Since then, we have provided land surveying, engineering design and construction administration services on improvements to multiple shooting ranges as well as for a new shooting range in Grand Traverse County. Also, we are in the development stages for two new outdoor shooting ranges, and a new shooting complex in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.
The following is a brief overview of the projects we have completed or are currently working on for the MDNR:
- Sharonville State Park Game Area Shooting Range Improvements, Grass Lake, MI – This project was for the expansion of the existing facility to include a 4-station pistol range as well as ADA improvements and storm water management facilities. We verified details for ricochet baffle, benches and structures. Also, ADA access improvements were completed to allow for improved access to the existing archery range. This project was completed in 2019.
- Pontiac Lake Recreation Area Shooting Range Improvements, Waterford Township, MI – This project comprised of expanding the existing facility to include a 10-station pistol range as well as ADA improvements, parking improvements, shed relocation, and storm water management facilities. We verified and incorporated details for ricochet baffle, benches and structures. The project was completed in 2017.
- Algonac State Park Shooting Range Improvements, Clay, MI – This project expanded the existing facility to include a new 4-station pistol range and accessible shotgun range. Also, ADA improvements, parking improvements, and storm water management facilities were included. The project was also completed in 2017.
- Grand Traverse County Shooting Range Development, Union Township, MI – This project was for a new shooting range consisting of three ranges with the following stations: six 25-yard, three 50-yard and three 100-yard with options for expandability in the future. The work also included parking improvements, pit toilet, and storm water management facilities. We assisted MDNR with the public engagement process and noise studies as well as implemented details for ricochet baffle, monitoring wells, benches, gates and structures. The project was completed in 2018.
- Echo Point Shooting Range Improvements, Allegan, MI – The improvements to this range include shooting structures with sound abatement measures, accessible tables and benches for shooters, a parking lot, accessible pathways, a vault toilet, perimeter fencing, and new berms and ricochet baffles to improve safety. The new structures included the following stations: four 100-yard, four 25-yard and four 10-yard. This project was completed in 2019 and since then operates with considerable noise reduction to the surrounding areas.
- Lapeer State Game Area Shooting Range Improvements, Lapeer, MI – This project was a major overhaul for a 70-year old shooting range. Improvements included sound abatement, driveway approach and parking, range fencing, drainage, pathways, monitoring wells, and vault toilets. Two new shooting structures included the following stations: three 100-foot and eight 10-yard/50-yard. The project was completed in 2020.
- Lake Superior Sportsman’s Club Shooting Range Improvements, Ontonagon, MI – NFE, along with our subconsultant OHM Advisors, are currently providing engineering and architectural services for a new indoor shooting complex at the Lake Superior Sportsman’s Club in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. The new club house will feature a kitchen, conference room, bathrooms, storage space and indoor range. This project is designed and awaiting final grant monies for construction.
- Marquette Shooting Range Development, Sands Township, MI – Right now we are in the final stages of design for a new outdoor shooting range complex in Marquette County. The range will feature shotgun and rifle/pistol stations including: four 10-yard, four 25-yard, two 100-yard, two 200-yard and two 400-yard. Also included will be a pit toilet, ADA parking, access walkways, berms and ricochet baffles, and limestone trenches to aid in lead mitigation and capture.
- NHBP Shooting Range Development, Sherwood, MI – Right now we are in the early design phase for a new public outdoor firearm and pistol shooting range along with a range dedicated for the training of law enforcement officers for the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi (NHBP) tribe.
NFE is proud of our work with private and public shooting ranges and updating facilities for the shooting euthenics in the State of Michigan. For more information on any of these projects or for your next recreational development, please contact Steve Sutton at 248-332-7931 or firstname.lastname@example.org.