Royal Oak, Michigan
City of Royal Oak – Engineering Department
211 S. Williams Street
Royal Oak, MI 48067
Estimated Construction Cost
The City of Royal Oak contracted with NFE to provide land surveying, engineering design and construction engineering services for the East Fourth Street Corridor Upgrade from Main Street to Campbell Road project. The project was funded by both the DDA and CDBG for streetscape expansions. The City felt Fourth Street need streetscape improvements to spur investment and make the street connect more with the downtown area.
Construction engineering services included the preparation of contract bid documents, construction plans, specifications, and cost estimates. The scope of work included:
- Lighting system replacement and upgrades for decorative street lights
- Sidewalk and curb replacement with decorative concrete sidewalk and new curbs and gutter
- ADA ramp improvements
- Landscape upgrades for ornamental trees and tree grates, along with a tree irrigation system
- Parking lot removal and reconfiguration in median between Kayser Avenue and Alexandra Avenue
- Rain garden installation to improve storm water management within parking lot
- Public art installation
- Traffic control plan for maintaining traffic during construction
The result was a successful corridor improvement project that connected Fourth Street visually and physically to the downtown area.